The coronavirus 2019-nCov is affecting 188 countries and territories around the world, it has been considered as a pandemic by the World Health Organisation. The statistics of the coronavirus all over the world show that up to now there are 315 260 cases, 13 582 deaths and 95 892 recovered.
All the countries affected including Rwanda took measures to mitigate the spread of the disease. On the 14th of March 2020, the Ministry of health of Rwanda released some preventive measures for two weeks such as closure of schools and place of worship, movable taps, restraint from unnecessary movements and sensitization of the population about the respect of the preventive measure.
But the numbers of cases were increasing and last week the country numbered 17 cases. The Government of Rwanda decided to add some measures in order to reduce the spread and to avoid outbreak of the disease. Therefore on the 21st day of March 2020, the prime Minister took an order related to the coronavirus. Those measures for an initial period of two weeks include :
- Closure of borders (except for goods and cargo, as well as returning of Rwandan citizens and legal residents who will be subject to a mandatory 14-days quarantine at designated locations) ;
- Closure of bars ; Closure of shops and market (except those selling foods, medicine, hygiene and cleaning products, fuel and other essential items) ;
- Interdiction of unnecessary movements and visit outside the home (except for essential services such as healthcare, foods shopping, or banking and for the personnel performing such services) ;
- Moto bicycles, and bicycles are not allowed to carry passengers but may offer delivery services. Other public transport within cities will only operate for essential movements, and above and with at least one (01) metre distance between passengers ;
- Electronic payments and online banking services should be used whenever possible rather than visiting banks and ATMs ; All employees (public and private) shall work for home except from those providing essential services ;
- Travel between different cities and districts of the country is not allowed, except for medical reasons or essential services ; Restaurants and cafe may only provide take-away services ;
- The Government gave one day for the entire population to prepare for the application of those measures. From tomorrow, Monday 23rd of March 2020, the local government authorities and security organs will ensure the compliance with the prime minister’s order.